Monday, 27 February 2017

Seat of Government


Welcome to NorthernIreland's seat of Government at Stormont.  This is where the legislatev assembly is supposed to meet and govern though there is always some strife with 'the folks on the hill' as the politicians here are jokingly referrred to!


 Beautiful details of the building.  One of the most interesting facts about this white exterior is that during the second World War, it had to be blackened out using a terrible mixture of tar and cow dung!

It then took 7 years afterwards to clean it off!  I think that's why some parts still look grey!!

Tomorrow I'll share some photos of the interior.


Linking with Image-in-ing HERE

Our World Tuesday HERE

20 comments:

  1. That is a very impressive looking building worthy of the seat of government. I can't imagine having to blacken the outside but, I guess it was necessary for protection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful building !! Great to see these amazing columns and a beautiful entrance!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, It is a beautiful building. Wow, I can not imagine having to wash all that yuck off. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful building and lovely light. Great shots

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I hope that your government is better than our present one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of having to black out the outsides of buildings. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful architecture. Would not have liked the job of cleaning the building!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The building is gorgeous. I never knew about the building being blacked out but it does make sense. Interesting fact, thanks for sharing, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...interesting history during WWII. 7 years to clean it up. Yikes that was a long cleaning job. I'm glad I wasn't part of the cleaning crew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And a fine solid building she is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my - WWII was tough in so very many many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How interesting and wow what a mess to clean.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is very impressive! I love those columns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Impressive building. Interesting about the cow dung and tar on it. What a job that must have been to remove it all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a way to disguise a building!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous building and an interesting way to darken it...I wouldn't want that job 😉

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did not think it was much of a seat at the moment with all the squabbles going on. Very impressive building

    ReplyDelete