Monday, 17 October 2016

Ulster American Folk Park Pt 1



On my bucket list is a visit to New England in the Fall.  In the meantime, I visited the Ulster American Folk Park last week in Omagh, County Tyrone, a living history museum recreating life in Ulster at the time of the Potato Famine and the subsequent emigration to the New World.

The journey begins in a very small stone dwelling which the lowest ranks of farm workers lived in back in the 1830's and 40's.


Another more prosperous homestead, the original Mellon family farm and outbuildings can be toured also.
Note the half door to keep out the chickens.
A lovely horse chestnut had turned behind the house adding a lovely fall flavour!



Behind the house there is a viewpoint over the farmland towards the Sperrins and in the trees flows the River Strule.


This was the staircase to the look out but coming back, I was as enchanted with this view of the cottage and the hens on the bank.


Linking with Through My Lens HERE

Image-in-ing Wordless Wednesday HERE

Our World Tuesday HERE

Thanks for your visit!

24 comments:

  1. My Father's family came from Ireland, I wish that I knew more about the history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful views here. I LOVE that last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew about using the half door to keep chickens out. I have a few who think my porch is a good place to hang out, and I wish they wouldn't.I always like stone homes, around here they use limestone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what beautiful views. I too love that last shot of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting how this famine affected so many. Love the photos and the history you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a hard time for those poor people. I'm sure life wasn't picturesque but your photos are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful, indeed! Charming photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely landscape as the same as in Europe. I love horse chestnut tree

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of all the half doors I have seen it never occurred to me they would keep out the chickens. Yet it makes perfect sense. Wonderful vista toward the Sperrins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos, Christine. Peacefully enchanting, romantically radiant!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely and interesting place

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love the cottage. Just lovely in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love living history museums! The cottage is so charming and I love the view of the farmland. I live in New England - and fall is indeed very beautiful - thank you for the reminder to appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magnificas e belas fotografias.
    Um abraço e boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  15. A magical place where time stopped.
    I like places like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely window into another time and place...lovely photos and totally enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never saw this yesterday.... Love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so nice! Love the low white house and the smoke from the chimney. Beautiful in that area!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love places like this where you can learn a bit of history along with some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely spot. You've given me the "itch" to find someplace similar.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/10/springtime-memories.html

    ReplyDelete