Translate

Tuesday, 17 May 2016

The Fort


I have a photo of the front of Hillsborough Fort in my header collage, but for Tuesday's Treasure I thought I'd share some more photos from the older fortifications behind the keep.


In the middle of the wall is a green gate and another gate on the opposite wall.  These used to be opened daily to allow the public free access inside the fort but possibly due to cuts in funding, they are now shut permanently.

Below is a peak through the gate


On each of the four corners are towers which I nicknamed the Rapunzel towers as my daughter and I used to play in them when she was smaller and the fort was open.


The trees are in full bloom.

Below is a closer photo of the entrance to the main fort building, shown in my header
It is a good example of Gothic style


One of the many gargoyles, but I have no information on who he is supposed to be.


Thanks for joining me and thanks to Tom for hosting Tuesday's Treasures.  Click HERE to see more.

I'd love to hear from you!

14 comments:

  1. Christine, thanks for sharing all of these wonderful views of Hillsborough Fort. I love all the architectural details. Have a great week and stop back when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Christine, the fort looks like a wonderful place to explore. I love the framed peak out the gate and the towers. The gargoyle is cool. The blossoming trees are pretty. Thanks for sharing your visit. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating place. Too bad its no longer open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindas e belas fotografias, gostei.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun shot through the gate. I always enjoy spotting and zooming in on gargoyles. Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. Probably not open because of 'health and safety!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of an impressive fort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a fantastic tour around this historic place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely place and Hillsborough Fort is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so great! I love this photo serie! Thank you so much. I think your country has a lot of forts, castles & ruins

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is too bad it is closed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a very fine place to play!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely historic place! I love seeing sights like this!

    ReplyDelete