Thursday, 11 February 2016

Good Gates and Stunning Sunset



Some surviving historic gates and pillars I've been trying to find and photograph to share with you today for Good Fences.


You may remember seeing this bright red set from several months ago and since then I found more





It is thought that these types of domed gate pillars were late nineteenth early twentieth century stone built gate pillars. Typically they were whitewashed a sign of the farmer's boundary marker and pride in his farm which he had probably been able to buy out from the landed gentry following the Irish Land Acts of the early 19th century.

Local blacksmiths made the gates and were creative in their designs, adding visual appeal to the countryside and farms.

The pillars below have been replastered.

Sadly due to the use of large machinery, many of the old gates and pillars have been deliberately destroyed to make way for wider field access.


Yon can see the old stones remaining in this set and some evidence of white wash. I love the simple design and green paint on these gates.

 
The past few evenings we enjoyed stunning sunsets and this is the view across the farm from my home.



Don't forget to check out more Good Fences and Skies at


and

Skywatch Friday

Thanks to our hosts

Please let me know you visited!

Have a great day!

37 comments:

  1. What a lovely treat to see the "survivors."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, the red gates and pillars are wonderful remnants from the past. The sunsets are beautiful too. Great post! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. images full of history! thank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do remember that first beautiful photo. It is gorgeous. I so enjoyed seeing the others as well this morning. BTW, I read your comment on Good Fences after posting my own comment. That's always what comes to my mind also when I hear 'quiverful.' Except your quiver has more arrows! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant photos Christine. There is an old world charm to these gates that I really love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular sky shots...and a virtual gallery of great iron gates!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! these are awesome gates and pillars! i can see why they'd need to expand the passageway, though. thanks for sharing the bible passage on my post today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Christine!:) I do remember your post with the red painted domed pillars and thought how unusual they were. Thanks for the info about them, and for showing more of these historic stone structures and great gates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gate pillars are really large and strong. They are built to last!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, those posts are massive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW this is so impressive. Love the gates and the red just pops against the environment.
    Really great gates. The pillars are so interesting. I have not seen anything like it! Have a wonderful day!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW this is so impressive. Love the gates and the red just pops against the environment.
    Really great gates. The pillars are so interesting. I have not seen anything like it! Have a wonderful day!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting gate pillars! I like all your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting, great history and I like the design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgesous sunsets and some great fences. I really like the red one a lot. It was interesting reading about the history of the fences and the stone pillars.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i enjoyed the history and images....pretty pops of red!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful gates and fences ~ Red does pop! Great shots!

    Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. The second gate is my favorite! How interesting with all these red gates! You captured them all beautifully:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would hang that first photo on my wall. so beautiful and I love the red gates, also the plasters posts. this looks like UK or Ireland not USA..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for visiting my first entry to "Good Fences" Christine. You have some very pretty shots here. The red in the fence is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully photographed sky shots ~ awesome!

    Happy Weekend to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fact that your sky shots are so uncluttered is lovely. If we try to take sunsets from our home they are usually filled with powerlines and rooftops. I enjoyed your gate shots, a shame when the old has to be destroyed in the name of progress.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are super gates! I have no long vistas for sunsets or sunrises so it is lovely to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I forgot to say that Spadina House is right beside Casa Loma and it is a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed these! Love those big old pillars...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love those old pillars and gates. Lots of great history. Great sky shots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Did not need to read the blog to know it was in Ireland, used to see them there when I visited

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excelentes fotografias.
    Um abraço e bom fim de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  29. those old pillars are so neat and quite large. its a shame they are being destroyed.

    pretty sunset. have a good valentine weekend friend.

    ReplyDelete