Translate

Thursday, 10 December 2015

Harry Ferguson's Fence

 I don't know if you will have heard of Harry Ferguson but perhaps you will have heard of his tractor, the Massey Ferguson- apologies now to all who are loyal John Deere owners!!! Harry Ferguson was born and raised only a few miles from my home and the area has several tributes and memorials to his ingenuity and inventiveness as he was also the first Irishman who designed and flew an aeroplane and manufactured other equipment

This is the memorial statue of him across the road from his birthplace.






The pose below of him leaning on the gate and surveying his farmland is spot on as farmers in Ireland seem born to lean over the gate and have a good yarn with any passers-by and even the animals if they'll listen!


Linking with Tex and Good Fences.  Click on picture below to check out more contributions to this fun meme.  Thanks to Tex for hosting!


Have a great weekend!

25 comments:

  1. Hello Christine, Great post on Harry Ferguson. I love the statue and the fence, beautifully done! Happy Thursday, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muito bela e original esta escultura.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read about Henry Ferguson. We have to Cyrus McCormick Farm here. Those two men did so much for agriculture. Like the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the statue of Ferguson. I didn't realize he was Irish! The Massey part of Massey Ferguson comes from the Toronto area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great memorial statue of Henry Ferguson and pretty fence. I enjoyed reading about Henry Ferguson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with a MF tractor! This was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic! Love learning the history and your shots are wonderful. Great statue and staging of MF. I was born and raised in the hometown of Henry Ford. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really like that sculpture of him! i've been to the cyrus mccormick farm here that genie told you about, it's really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great statue! My dad had a Massey Ferguson tractor on our farm when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tribute Christine. I enjoyed this post very much and think the statue of Harry Ferguson is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, love that fence and statue. Looks like a cool place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is not only a beautiful fence but a special one. I love the statue leaning on it. great photos and so much interesting info..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always heard good things about Massey-Fergusons. Never a bad word about them. A very nice fence he is leaning on, and I liked hearing a bit of the history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a really neat memorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great variety of fences and all shots are very creative!

    Wishing you the magic and love of the season
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this fence - what a tribute! Even as a city person I have seen these tractors:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very nice piece of history and beautiful fence!! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never seen a fence like this. The man is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice fence with a characteristic pose. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was driving one of his tractors when I was a child. So cool to see this fence. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had not heard of Massey Ferguson or the tractor but how interesting to learn about him. That gate with his statue is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  22. loving the statue of Harry Ferguson, such a great pose.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very interesting Christine! I think I have heard of him.

    ReplyDelete