Thursday, 8 October 2015

Good Fences along the Towpath



We've been having somewhat of an Indian summer the last week or so.  Hubby and I had time off last week to enjoy some fresh air along a section of the river Lagan towpath, which runs from Belfast lough all the way through the countryside to other towns and was the major transport system of the Victorian era
This is a restored barge on the river though it doesn't go anywhere nowadays - just for visitors to see.



l
This is the lock keepers cottage - pretty small!

 Above is a wooden carving remembering the horses who served along the towpath pulling the barges.

A bright red colourful bridge looking back to the lock keeper's cottage...


 The lock gates...


 Some of the birdlife we saw along the riverbank...



Linking with 



Hope you enjoyed sharing my stroll along the towpath! 
It's always a pleasure to read your comments

21 comments:

  1. Yes Christine I love walkingalong the that towpath although it is some time since i did it. Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gostei do blog.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.
    http://andarilharar.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking a towpath sounds interesting to me. Nothing like that here. And I would love to see the barge close up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooh this looks like a great spot, one i would certainly love!!!! i enjoyed the old world feel!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely fences and shadows too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a neat place! love that carving signage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an enjoyable place. - That cottage is so cute. The barge was neat looking, some great fences, a cool carving as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fence photos Christine, I enjoyed seeing them. I also like the cottage and those birds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some very pretty shots. I like that little cottage!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything fenced in differently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great fence shots Christine. You always capture wonderful photos. Darling little cottage too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos and I like that tiny cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did enjoy your stroll very much! I like the tiny cottage too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice series. Lots of history there. Love the carving.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyded everything in your photos. Lovely !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love locks. Only wish I could see them more often. Love your images.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Christine!:) This is different, and makes a nice change to view scenes along a towpath. Great fence post, oh and I like the carving tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great site for a nature walk! We have the C&O canal and tow path in D.C.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love towpaths especially if you get to see a barge along the way! I wanted to walk the one at Skipton (Yorkshire) last time we were there but it was very wet and cold (Feb) and no one else was very keen! Thanks for the mini tour....loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the tour of the towpath! Close to where I grew up, there was a canal and tow path that was being used. We use to ride the barges every so often! Thank for sharing yours with us!! God bless

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete